James Merrill Writer-in-Residence Application Process Selection Criteria:
• A writer or scholar with a specific project of literary or academic merit who is committed to full-time residence in Stonington during his or her stay. We regret that the residency is not intended for completion of one’s dissertation.
• A person willing to contribute to the community. It is expected that this will include a reading or lecture for the community. Due to Covid-19, we are currently substituting virtual readings in the place of in-person events for the foreseeable future.
• A person of integrity and responsibility who can be entrusted with the Merrill Apartment and its contents.
• We welcome suggestions from applicants about ways in which our fellows might reinforce the community’s links to writing, poetry, and James Merrill’s legacy.
About the residency
- We have six residencies for 2022-23: September 2022 (4 weeks), October (4 weeks) November (4 weeks) February-mid March 2023 (6 weeks) April-mid May (6 weeks) August (4 weeks)
- nt. For more information about living and working in the apartment, please visit: https://www.jamesmerrillhouse.org/apply
- The Writer-in-Residence program includes a stipend of $1,100 per month, prorated according to the length of stay.
Applications: We accept applications for the 2022-2023 residencies between October 1, 2021 and January 9, 2022 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time. Decisions will be made by mid-March A complete application includes the following documents:
1. A resume of four or fewer pages
2. A writing or work sample of ten or fewer pages
3. A statement of your plan of work while in Stonington CT
4. Two letters of reference
5. If applicable, a brief biographical sketch of a spouse or partner who would be residing in the apartment with you. Please note that due to the age and nature of the building we cannot accept pets and it may be difficult for a child to reside there. If you have a child that would need to reside with you during the residency please let us know. Also, please note that the apartment is located on the third floor and is only accessible by stairs.
6. The James Merrill House follows the State of Connecticut guidelines on the COVID-19 pandemic. Applicants may be expected to quarantine based on the latest State of Connecticut guidelines.
A $30 application fee. Unfortunately, we do not allow fee exemptions.
Please direct inquiries about the application process or application status to Director, Bergin O'Malley, at firstname.lastname@example.org