James Merrill Writer-in-Residence Application Process Selection Criteria:
• A writer or scholar with a specific project of literary or academic merit who is committed to full-time residence in Stonington during his or her stay. We regret that the residency is not intended for completion of one’s dissertation.
• A person willing to contribute to the community. It is expected that this will include a reading or lecture for the community. Due to Covid-19, we are currently substituting virtual readings in the place of in-person events for the foreseeable future.
• A person of integrity and responsibility who can be entrusted with the Merrill Apartment and its contents.
• We welcome suggestions from applicants about ways in which our fellows might reinforce the community’s links to writing, poetry, and James Merrill’s legacy.
About the residency
- We have six residencies for 2021-22: September 2021 (4 weeks), October 2021 (4 weeks) November 2021 (4 weeks) February–mid-March 2022 (6 weeks) April–mid-May (6 weeks) August (4 weeks)
- The writer in residence lives in the David Jackson apartment and has access to work in the Merrill apartment. For more information about living and working in the apartments, please visit: https://www.jamesmerrillhouse.org/the-writer-in-residence-program
- The Writer-in-Residence program includes a stipend of $1,100 per month, pro-rated according to the length of stay.
Applications: We accept applications for the 2021-2022 residencies between October 1, 2020 and January 10, 2021 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time. Decisions will be made by mid-March
A complete application includes the following documents:
1. A resume of four or fewer pages
2. A writing or work sample of ten or fewer pages
3. A statement of your plan of work while in Stonington CT
4. Two letters of reference
5. If applicable, a brief biographical sketch of a spouse or partner who would be residing in the apartment with you. Please note that due to the age and nature of the building we cannot accept pets and it may be difficult for a child to reside there. If you have a child that would need to reside with you during the residency please let us know. Also, please note that the apartment is located on the third floor and is only accessible by stairs.
6. The James Merrill House follows the State of Connecticut guidelines on the COVID-19 pandemic. Applicants may be expected to quarantine based on the latest State of Connecticut guidelines.
7. A $30 application fee.
Please visit our website for more information jamesmerrillhouse.org or direct inquiries about the application process or application status to Program Coordinator, Bergin O'Malley, at firstname.lastname@example.org